Archive for August, 2015

Barbarians outline done

August 31, 2015

My goal was to finish the outline for my barbarians book by the end of August and I made it. The outline comes to 52 pages and covers 14 chapters. I need to do some serious thinking about how long I want the book to be and how much I need to condense things to cover all the important topics. Tomorrow. Tonight I’m relaxing.

Advertisements

End of August

August 30, 2015

Highlights of the last couple of weeks:

I had a nice relaxing trip up to Maine. I helped my folks clean up the waterfront for the end of the season and I picked two big containers of blackberries. Most of the blackberries went into a delicious pie, but I have some put away in the freezer for later.

We’ve been having a problem with our water heater so we called in a plumber. It turns out we had very high water pressure coming into the house (over 80 psi when around 60 is normal). That meant we needed a pressure-reducing valve installed, which took most of an afternoon, but everything is better now.

My cucumbers have rather underperformed this year, but the tomatoes have more than made up for it. I’ve been out every other day picking a big bowl full of little yellow pear tomatoes and fuzzy orange peach tomatoes. I’ve pulled all of my potatoes now. We got a wonderful crop of those.

I’ve almost finished my outline for my barbarians book. I’m hoping to be done by the end of August. Not sure I can make that deadline, but I’m still pulling for it.

House work

August 16, 2015

The big project of the past month has been getting some workmen in to do a bunch of jobs on our house. We’ve been building up the list for years now of things that should be done but we can’t or don’t want to do ourselves. The ice dams and leaking that we got this past winter were the final straw.

We found a good local outfit earlier in the year and got an estimate, but then it was difficult scheduling a time for the work. They had a previous job that was supposed to be three days and ended up taking a month. But in the end they did come and the work got done and done very well. They patched and painted the walls and ceilings, painted our basement floors and walls, replaced two of our toilets, and a handful of other jobs. We expect to get them back in a month or so to put some gutters at the back where we’ve had water problems for as long as we’ve been living in the house.

It’s great to finally have those things taken care of.