Whirlwind weekend in New York

This past weekend E. and I were in New York City for the first time since moving away. The occasion was the wedding of my high-school friend Thomas, but we also took the opportunity to visit our friends Liam and Romelle. Kris, as another friend of Thomas’s, was also invited to the wedding, so we got to see her and Daniel, another nice treat.

E. and I flew down from Boston on Friday afternoon. Our flight went smoothly enough, but Kris and Daniel got delayed a bit. We had planned to meet at the airport and share a taxi to our hotels in mid-town, so E. and I took the opportunity to get some lunch at the airport while waiting. After they arrived, we got our taxi and made it to our respective hotels with enough time to change before the ceremony.

The wedding was held in a church just across the street from Scandinavia House, where E. used to work. Knowing Thomas’s strong commitment to traditional Catholic faith we were expecting a grand occasion, and it did not disappoint. The service was full of beautiful music and the rich high ritual of the Latin mass. The four of us non-Catholics sat in the back and tried to keep quiet, stand up and sit down at the appropriate times and enjoyed the music and pageantry.

The reception afterwards was held at the Union League Club, a private club of the sort where one imagines Bertie Wooster and his ilk spending the day. There were cocktails and a greeting line for the happy couple, then we repaired to the dining room for an excellent dinner and entertainment from a live band. Two of my old high school drama friends whom I haven’t seen in ages were also at the wedding and it was wonderful to see them. It turns out that one of them is actually living in Salem!

Everything about the wedding and reception was soundly traditional and was carried off with grace and skill. It was very different from the kind of wedding that E. and I had, but it suited Thomas perfectly (I trust it was just as much to the wishes of his bride, but I sadly don’t know her well enough to say) and it was certainly a night to remember.

It was quite late when we got back to our hotel and tried to get to sleep. We managed some sleep, although it wasn’t entirely comfortable. I’m not sure what size the mattress was, but it was too short for E., which is saying something, and not quite wide enough for two. Nevertheless, after getting up early for our flight and going all day long, we were tired enough to sleep.

On Saturday, we had tentative plans to meet up with Liam and Romell, provided that they were not in the hospital. Romelle was pregnant and her due date was just when we were in town, so there was no being sure. After a disappointing breakfast at the hotel, we went out for a little shopping, planning to get in touch with Liam and Romelle later in the day to see if it would be all right or us to come visit. As we were walking out we found there was a Korean street fair in front of our hotel and one of the nearby avenues was blocked off for what turned out to be a Korean parade. We managed to get through the crowds to have a look in H+M and then in Macy’s, where I found a new suit jacket and E. found some nice sheets very cheap. While we were there, we got a message from Liam announcing that Romelle had given birth the day before and we were welcome to come visit them in the hospital.

Very excited, we found some flowers to congratulate the happy parents and headed to the hospital. Liam and Romelle were both there with their new son (his first, her second). It was wonderful to see our friends again and a beautiful thing to get to see the new life they had brought into the world. Their baby boy was big for only a day old, but still clearly getting used to the strange new world outside the womb. I thought I could see some of both parents in his face, and they say he has exactly Liam’s feet (something I’m in no position to verify). We spent a good long time with them all which was a real joy.

In the late afternoon we made our way up to the Columbia campus, which was a little strange for us both. We haven’t been back to the area since moving out and the feeling of being back just to visit was a little odd. We met up with Kris and Daniel at our old favorite haunt, Pisticci, for a thoroughly enjoyable (and Manhattan-priced) dinner. We shared our adventures of the day and enjoyed each other’s company, something we don’t get to do nearly often enough. At the end of the evening, the found of us shared a taxi back downtown to our hotels.

The next morning, E. and I were up early to catch our flight home again. We enjoyed a nap in the afternoon at home, followed by sauna and dinner before E. had to go to work.


Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: